We know you’ve heard some things about the Art Show, but we’ve got good news for you!
We here at A-Kon Gaming will be taking up the torch and running in the Art Show this year! We will located in the Console Gaming room located in the newly remodeled Imperial Ballroom.
We apologize for the confusion in these last few weeks, but we had to get all the details sorted out before we could make any announcements.
A-Kon® Gaming Art Show
Art Show Hours
- [Thursday 6-8pm Pre-registered art drop-off/setup]
- Friday Noon-10pm [9:30-10:30 Pre-reg drop-off/setup / 10:30-11:30 Walk-up drop-off/setup]
- Saturday 10am-10pm
- Live Auction Saturday at 8pm (tentative)
- Sunday 10am-2pm (The last bid will be allowed at 1pm; we will then start alerting winning bidders and closing sales) [3pm Artist pickup]
General Rules for Members
- All persons wishing to purchase art must obtain a bidder’s number. You will need to stop by the Art Show desk during normal operating hours to acquire one. We will not be assigning bidder’s numbers at the auction. So, if you have any thoughts of attending the auction, please make sure you pick up a number sometime prior to Saturday’s live auction. We will require your real name, address, phone/email, and a photo ID
- When purchasing art for “Quick Sale”, you have the choice of taking the art piece with you or leaving it on display (marked as SOLD) for others to have a chance to appreciate the artist’s work. For those persons for whom the art auction will be a new experience, please keep in mind that there is a lot of art to be gone through and it can take a while.. All art sold must be picked up by Sunday at 2:30 pm.
- The Art Show will have security at the Imperial Ballroom door for the entire time the art show is open. It will be their job to keep the art safe. So, please don’t give them a hard time when they ask you to check your purses, packages, bags, or other items. We promise they will give them back. The art room will be blocked during the hours that the show is not for viewing.
- Bidding will be closed at 1:00pm on Sunday so we can start processing sales and contacting winning bidders.
- All art pieces must be paid by cash or charge. All sales are final. All bidders must honor their bids if they win an auction. Silent Auction pieces must be picked up and paid for no later than 2:30 pm on Sunday.
- Finally, this is an art show comprised of fans. We ask that you do not make rude, hurtful, or demeaning comments about any of the art shown. They were brave enough to put it up; be kind enough to appreciate their efforts. We reserve the right to bar any persons being rude.
Rules/Restrictions for Artists
- All art must be the original work of the artist.
- There is a non-refundable display fee of $10.00 for each 4×4 panel in the art show (Due to space constraints, we will be limiting each artist to two panels)
- If you find you have purchased a second panel and will not need it, please contact the Art Show Directors as soon as possible so that we may discuss a refund, thus allowing other artists the opportunity to utilize this space!
- Space is NOT guaranteed for walk-ups. PLEASE RESERVE YOUR SPACE IN ADVANCE, by contacting us via the registration form starting March 7th, 2015 We will have a maximum of two 4’x4’ panels allowed for each artist due to the amount of art we anticipate to be at the A-Kon® Art Show. Pre-registered artists have first pick of space in the show. Walk-up registration is welcome if we have the space available; please check with us at 11:00 am Friday the morning of the show.
- A-Kon® must pay taxes on sales; we will deduct this from the final sale price. This is reflecting in the 9% commission on all sales in the art show. This is in addition to the display fee.
- All exhibits must be in place by 11:30 am on Friday. Artists with reservations not signed in by 10:00 am on Friday will lose their reservation. All open space at that time will be available on a first come, first served situation for available space.
- Art should have an anime, manga, gaming, Japanese, fantasy, or sci-fi theme.
- There are copyright laws that must be observed; you may sell original fan art, with credit given to original artist, but worked reproductions are expressly forbidden. A-Kon® will not tolerate the sale or display of illegally copied merchandise. The convention and staff assume no responsibility for checking copyright permissions.
- This is a family friendly event with limited space; ALL pieces must be at least PG-13.
- The minimum bid or quick sale allowed for each piece of art is $5.
- Bids will be in whole dollar amounts, with the smallest bid increment being one dollar.
- All art to be hung for display such as a painting, sketch, print, or drawing must be matted and/or framed. This does not apply to items such as masks, scrolls, brush-art t-shirts, etc.
- It is recommended that artists submit pieces with minimum bids of less than $50. (Please consider your minimum bids carefully)
- All pieces are required to be clearly marked, on the back or underneath, with the artist’s name and the name of the piece. It does not have to be permanent but must be attached well enough to handle moving. When the piece is displayed there are slips that will need to be placed on or near each piece showing the artist’s name, name of piece, character and/or series, and medium and price. Please be ready to provide this information when you or your art arrives. (The forms are available for printing so that you can fill out prior to arrival. This is highly recommended)
- We will provide hooks and binder clips for hanging. If you do not want your work crimped, or have a piece that needs to be hung in a different way, you must provide the means to do so yourself. If you do not have your own means for hanging and you use what we provide, we are not responsible for damaged artwork.
- If special arrangements are required, such as very large or freestanding pieces, you are responsible for contacting the Art Show Directors at least 4 weeks before the con to verify there is space to accommodate, and discuss what may be needed.
- Once entered in the show, no piece may be withdrawn before 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, except by special arrangement with the Art Show Directors. This is so that those who attend on Sunday will see as much of the full exhibit as possible. If you know at the beginning of the show that you are leaving before 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, please inform the Art Show Directors. If you cannot reclaim your work yourself, please make arrangements with the Art Show Directors before the Show, otherwise, we will not release your work until we can contact you personally.
- The artist is responsible for the removal of art; and all art must be picked up by the close of the convention Sunday.
- We will not be accepting any mailed-in art pieces this year, nor will we be returning any pieces of art by mail.
- The Art Show will make all attempts to contact winning bidders at the convention, if we are unable to reach a non-paying bidders, their info and your art will be passed on to you for you to continue to follow up
- Any unclaimed art will become the property of A-Kon®